First of all, they need to know about the different types of breast implants available and which are most aligned with the desired outcome of the patient. Next, it’s important to find the right surgeon and embrace the surgery as mindfully as possible.
Popular Implant Types for Breast Augmentation
- Saline implants: Saline based implants are filled with saline or sterile salt water, which is absorbed into your system naturally in case of shell break and leakage, in which case the implant will collapse.
- Silicone based implants: These implants are filled with gel that is somewhat similar to natural breast tissue. This gel usually do not leak into the implant pocket in case of shell break but since it is not impossible per se, silicone implants require regular check-ups with your surgeon. In addition, since their stability is somewhat inflexible, rotation in the implant pocket could cause unnatural appearances.
- Round implants: Round implants are uniform in shape all over and make the whole breast look fuller than most silicon based implants. Their uniform shape also prevent rotation abnormalities.
- Smooth implants: These are the softest and most natural-feeling implants used in augmentation surgeries. They can easily coordinate with the breasts’ natural movements. However, they could produce slight ripples on the breast surface.
- Texture implants: These implants fit into the implant pocket by producing scar tissue, which prevent free-movement inside the pocket.
Choosing a Breast Augmentation Surgeon
Once you have some idea about the implant types for breast augmentation, you need to know how you can choose a good surgeon for the procedure. Here are some related tips to finding and choosing a breast augmentation surgeon.
1. Find multiple surgeons nearest your vicinity and from them, come up with the shortest list possible. Go to their personal websites to view some pre/post-op images and read some patient feedback.
2. Consult with your gynecologist with your list and see if you agree on ideas.
3. Try to schedule a meeting with the potential surgeon even if it seems unusual. While at it, converse with their patient coordinator to get as much clear ideas as possible.
4. Do not fixate on cost alone. The most expensive is not necessarily the best in case you do not need that much expertise. Same goes for the opposite as well. A surgeon’s public records, patients’ feedback and personal honestly are more decisive factors than cost alone.
5 To Better Embrace Breast Augmentation Surgery
Let us now take a look at a few tips that will help you during both pre and post-op periods:
1. Preparing by getting a mammogram is a good idea; especially if you are over 40, your breast augmentation surgeon will most probably ask for one, sometimes even if you are not over that range. Having this diagnosis will add a baseline mammogram in your file which would come handy later on.
2. Take care of all the activities that you need to, like cleaning, laundry, cooking for children, off-days from job, before getting the surgery because you need to return to a peaceful environment after the surgery.
3. If you are into some sort of alternative medications and herbs, discontinue them 30 days prior to the surgery. The same period goes for smoking as well. You also need to quit aspirin, ibuprofen and such drugs about 2 weeks prior. Do not drink any alcohol within 24 hours before the surgery. Do not drink anything 8 hours before the surgery.
4. Take a thorough shower the night before the surgery and avoid all kinds of cosmetics, including deodorant. Do not wear nail polish either because your blood circulation rate needs to be monitored during the procedure.
5. Wear lose clothing that opens in the front and soft and flat slippers.
After the breast augmentation surgery procedure, follow your surgeon’s recommendations to the letter if you want a speedy recovery.